Thursday, March 17, 2016

Black River

Image result for black river graphic novel
Set in a post-apocalyptic world that no one is quite sure how it got that way a group of women, a single fella, and a pair of dogs make for a fabled town called Gattenburg. Gattenburg is rumored to have plenty of food, drink, shelter, and most importantly- ammo! But the road to Paradise is a journey through hell on earth.


  For some reason, I thought that Josh Simmons’ Black River was a Western. It was anything but. By the grim events of this graphic novel’s midpoint, I was seriously wondering just what the hell had I gotten myself into.


  Black River, while intriguing, is the type of work that after you read it, you feel like needing to take a shower. This is not a feel good and be cosy kind of read. Plus I highly doubt that this book would ever see the big screen as several scenes are beyond words.


  I'm really not sure why I finished this book. Maybe it was the promise of a brighter tomorrow for this band of survivors. I was not a fan though the twist ending brought my rating of Black River up a couple of notches… that is until Simmons decided to include a cryptic final scene of what appeared to be a wizard walking in the snow. There's no magic in this graphic novel, so what was that all about?


  Definitely not for kids and the faint of heart. Prospective readers, consider yourself duly warned.


  Not Worth Consuming.

  Rating: 4 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment