Saturday, April 16, 2016

Uncanny Origins #7


Uncanny Origins (1996-1997) #7
  The complicated relationship between Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote that turns him into Venom is explored in this issue. From Peter Parker first coming across the parasitic creature in the pages of Secret Wars to later bonding with disgraced reporter Brock after Parker rejects his alien 'suit' to the pair becoming a vigilante type anti-hero who seeks to destroy Spider-Man, all of Venom's history is explored right up to 1997. 

   So here's what confuses me- the cover states that this issue is 'the deadly debut of Spider-Man's Nastiest Nemesis.' Was that a typo? Poor editing? 

   At the point of this issue of Uncanny Origins being published, the Symbiote has been around for over a decade as well as the character of Eddie Brock. Their fusion into Venom occurred about 2 years afterwards. So, again, I ask, how is this the debut of Venom? 

   Oddly enough, I think this is why the issue was so gosh darn hard for me to find. It was the last issue I needed to complete my collection of this series and it cost me almost $10 (compared to spending only about a buck a pop for the rest.) Yes, Venom is a popular character but I think some fans mistakenly think this is the debut of the Spider-Man villain thanks to the cover blurb. 

   Well, folks, I am here to tell you that it's not.

   A good issue with more fantastic art by Dave Hoover. It's definitely worth reading and was worth the search, but it's not a key issue in regards to the character. So, make sure if you seek out this issue that you don't pay an arm and a leg.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment