Saturday, May 14, 2016

Adventures of Supergirl #1


 
  It's been a strange week for Supergirl. First, it's announced that CBS is canceling the show. Then it's not cancelled- but only if changes to the show format is made. Then DC announces the publication of this book which dropped Wednesday. Since the show's fate was up in the air, I figured it would be extremely important to support this series in order to seen DC and CBS that I want Supergirl to be renewed I even went on social media and started a hashtag called #Savesupergirl!

   Well, imagine my surprise on Thursday that it was announced that the CW will pick up Supergirl for a second season. I honestly thought it would take a little while for an agreement to be made and that this comic would be the measuring stick for a second season. Well, DC and CBS kept their end of the deal and I kept mine.

   Based on the hit CBS series, issue #1 of the Adventures of Supergirl has the Girl of Steel assisting the DEO in capturing yet another alien escapee from Fort Rozz. Only, this takedown takes a more personal note as Kara discovers that her adoptive human sister, Alex Danvers killed the alien's sister years prior. When the alien, known as Rampage, discovers that Supergirl and Danvers are sisters, she takes Kara hostage seeking revenge. With Alex and the DEO on the hunt, can Supergirl mend fences before another sister's life is unfortunately lost?

   I don't know if DC knows how much of a big deal is it for me to buy a book new. Money is an option to me and so to maintain my collection, it's bargain bin city all the way. But Supergirl grew on me and I was so pumped for a second season. It took a little while to gain steam and by the cliffhanger of season one, I was hooked!

   The storyline was like reading a missing adventure from season one. Writer Sterling Gates captured the voice of Supergirl actress, Melissa Benoist, quite well here as she's the narrator as like on the show. The overall formula was just like the show too! Cover art by Cat Staggs was freakin' awesome and I hope her photorealistic touch will continue on here.

   The only thing I wasn't such a fan of was some of the interior art. Artist Bengal (Batgirl: Endgame) does a reasonable job on the renderings of Alex Danvers and DEO head Hank Henshaw. But Supergirl looks, well like Supergirl- just not this Supergirl. Let me explain, the Supergirl portrayed in this comic has pixie-like looks and platinum blonde hair just like the comic book version. Other that the costume, Bengal's Supergirl looks nothing like actress Benoist. I'm sorry but that oversight has got to be fixed. It's inexcusable.

   Despite my misgivings with Bengal's rendering of Supergirl, I enjoyed this comic. I liked it so much, I will make a commitment to at least buy the next issue over the rack too! That's how much I love the character, adore the show, and appreciate the efforts of DC/CBS/and the CW to give us a season 2!

   #SupergirlSaved

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

(Also available in a digital format, but hey, comics were meant to be read on paper!)

No comments:

Post a Comment