Thursday, May 12, 2016

Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury


While this is a biography of legendary Queen frontman, Freddie Mercury, a majority of this tome focuses on the band as a whole. That actually doesn’t bother me as I am a huge Queen fan and I’ve always wanted to read a history of the group.

Much is made of Mercury’s sexuality. But thankfully, it’s not full of very sordid details. I’m not questioning Freddie being gay nor am I being homophobic. It’s just that I remember trying to read Steven Tyler’s biography and giving up after chapter 2 because it read like a letter to Penthouse.

Strangely enough, what shocked me about Mercury’s sexuality was that he had several sexual relationships with women after coming to terms with being gay. Pretty much, Mercury was attracted to anything. If the earth had made contact with aliens, I think he would have tried to boink them too. It’s like he was omnisexual with strong homosexual preferences, very much like Torchwood’s Capt. Jack Harkness.

The book was very well written, though the Brit slang is sometimes hard to decipher. Also, there are several characters in this history of the same name that makes for some confusing reading as you try to get everyone’s role understood. I counted at least 4 of the singer’s associates with the first name of Peter.

Alas, this exhaustive recount of the superstar’s life, loves, music, and antics prove that there is only 1 Freddie Mercury.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment