Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Steve Rogers: Captain America #2

The regular cover to issue #2
The regular cover to issue #2!
   I couldn't wait. After the explosive finale of SRCA: #1, I just couldn't wait for this storyline to play out. Nor could I allow for spoilers to ruin the fun of reading just what made Steve Rogers an agent of Hydra when this series comes out in trade form probably around Christmas. (Articles spoiling this issue were already popping up online as early as yesterday morning!!!) No, I was first at my LCS waiting for an issue. (It didn't hurt that I also needed to make some possible job contacts while I was at it.) But now I'm wishing maybe I had waited...

   Issue #2 does reveal just how and why Steve Rogers pledged allegiance to the terrorist organization Hydra. But I must say, based on all of the theories swirling around in my head for the past month, the truth behind Captain America's secret ties was a bit of a let down. YES- what did occur in this issue to make Steve a double agent was one of the possibilities I had come up with. But of all of the scenarios running through my brain, the truth was the one option that I felt the least positive about. (I also felt that it was a little bit of a cop out!)

   There's more villains in this book than Capt. or any of his allies. That's probably another reason I didn't feel so connected to the story. I want my Captain America comics to feature the Sentinel of Freedom, dagnabbit! With my questions answered, am I done with this series now until it comes out in trade? I'm going to have to think on it. The only 2 copies available at the store were variant covers that were priced at $10 each! -And like I said earlier; I was the first person in the store!!!

   I think now that the origin behind Steve Rogers' new affiliation has finally come to light, the hoopla over this series will probably dwindle down. If I can get the next issue for cover, I probably will continue getting this series first run. I'll just have to wait and see...

   Don't be surprised that if you want this issue that it might cost you! Also, don't be shocked to see this issue (and it's variants) on eBay and other auction sites for 2,3, or 4 times as much as cover! As a Facebook pal pointed out- Hail, Capitalism!!!

  Worth Consuming

   Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment