Monday, February 20, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 51

 

  On this day in 1977 history, the 19th running of the Daytona 500 occurred. The winner of the race was Cale Yarborough. It was his second win of this race. He'd go on to win 2 more times at Daytona before retiring.

    Also of note about this race, driver Janet Guthrie became the first woman to ever complete the Daytona 500. She'd also become the first woman to complete the Indianapolis 500. 

And their off...
Janet Guthrie's car is 2nd from the left lane of drivers.

   Now,  I'm not what you call a NASCAR fan. I've been to a race and I've seen my fair share of races on TV. But I just can't call myself a fan.

Janet Guthrie during the driver intros.

    I like cars. I like going fast. I love the designs on the cars, especially if they're for something special like promoting a movie or something. But I just can't call myself a fan.

  But the reason is quite simple- when you are a little kid it is impossible for them to sit through a 200 lap race! Anything over the number 10 is an eternity for a kid! I think it's one reason why I liked playing sports as a kid but I didn't really enjoy watching it until I was older. Everything just seemed way too long...

    My dad's father was a huge fan of racing and every Sunday, he'd have the race on. Generally, if my cousins were around, we'd all be out playing while my grandpa, dad, and his brothers all watched NASCAR. (But if I was to only kid around, those race days would be the longest of my life.)
Driver Bobby Wawak's car caught fire after a crash.
  
    I have a distinct feeling that this race wasn't watched by my grandfather. That's because also on this date in Madman history, Elvis Presley played a concert in Charlotte, NC. 

    My grandmama was a huge fan of the King. It's been passed down as legend that the day Elvis died, my grandmama packed a bag and drove all night to Memphis and was in attendance along Elvis Presley Boulevard when the hearse carrying Elvis' body drove into Graceland. So, I have a feeling my grandparents were in attendance for the concert and didn't watch this Daytona 500. Or at least that's what I'd like to imagine. 

   I know this post was supposed to be about race car driving, but I just can't help leaving you without a glimpse of the magical night in the Queen City.

   Enjoy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment