Thursday, February 2, 2017

Red Skull- Incarnate

   
 Examining the origin of Johann Schmidt: the Red Skull. Being a huge Captain Captain America fan, when I came across this, I had to own it. I can't stand the Red Skull... don't get my wrong he's the perfect foil to the Sentinel of Liberty but I hate the Red Skull and everything he stands for. Still, I had to read it!

     From the economic crisis of World War I Germany up through the rise of the Nazi party and the beginning's of the Holocaust all the way to Hitler wrangling total control of Germany, Schmidt is there somewhere on the edge of history. He's just bidding his time until he can become a major power player in Nazi Germany and nobody will get in the way on his path to glory. Not friends, allies, and especially not those who wrong him.

     With riots, brutal beatings, racism, and terror, this scariest thing about this collected miniseries from 2012 is how much it reminds me of our world today. 

      I had a little bit of trouble with how innocent Schmidt becomes. But now that I've had some time to process this story, I think writer Greg Pak (World War Hulk) did the right thing not making the pre-Red Skull lad entirely evil. Having someone who at first had good intentions turn his back on his beliefs basically signifies that Schmidt sold his soul for power. Another grim aspect of this powerful book that resonates through the headlines of today just as much as it did 70 years ago.

     With an afterword that documents the historical events that pepper this miniseries, this is something that as dark and gritty as it is, should not be missed.
     
    Worth Consuming

     Rating: 9 out of 10 stars. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment