Tuesday, April 4, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 94


    I've been eagerly awaiting the day to do this post. 40 years ago today, the Toronto Blue Jays played their very first major league baseball game. The event took place in Toronto, where the Jays defeated the Chicago White Sox 9-5. 


A snowy opening day.

    This game is most notable as is was actually delayed by the weather; not for rain but for snow! Played in outdoorsy Exhibition Stadium, it was because of white that the score was so high. It's really hard to see a tiny white baseball in the snow properly. Eventually, snow wouldn't be a problem as the stadium would be replaced with the Rogers Centre, AKA Skydome: a stadium with retractable roof, build-in hotel, and impressive shopping accommodations. 



    The Blue Jays have a special place in my heart. When I first started collecting baseball cards to be like the other fellas, I didn't know which team to choose. So, I decided that I would buy a pack of cards and the first team I got would be my favorite team. (Just please, don't be the New York Yankees!) 

    Well, my first card was a 1988 Topps card of George Bell of the Toronto Blue Jays(#718, All-Star Game Card.)

 I didn't know where Toronto was, so I decided to give it one more try. Card #2 was of Jimmy Key, a pitcher with the Toronto Blue Jays. Figuring life was trying to tell my something, I became a Blue Jays fan.

    Being the fan of an obscure team isn't easy as a kid. But it paid off as in 1992 and 93, the Blue Jays won the World Series. ('91-'93 was a pretty good year for me as my favorite teams the Duke Blue Devils, Toronto Blue Jays, and Pittsburgh Penguins all won back-to-back championships in those years!!!) Feeling vindicated, I wore my World Series Championship shirts with pride and maybe the scorn of my fellow classmates.


Blue Jays Anniversary Patches over the years.

   Over the years, I would fall out of touch with the Blue Jays. I still like them and I was rooting for them when they were in the Playoffs last year. As an adult, I'm Pittsburgh Trinity all the way- Pirates, Steelers, Pens. However, I married into a Yankees family and have to put up with that fandom begrudgingly. (Go METS!!!) But, you never forget your first love and I will always have a fondness for the boys in blue- Go Blue Jays!

   Until Tomorrow...

    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment