Thursday, May 4, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 124


   I'm still trying to get back into the habit of blogging again. It's been really tough. I love it, but I just lost a lot of passion after my last job. While I enjoyed the management experience, the whole thing was a soul sucker that took bites out of every aspect of my life. I missed time with my wife, my cats, my church, even my beloved Art Institute job. 

    But there was noway I was going to miss today. It's May 4th- Star Wars Day... As in May the Fourth Be With You???

   I know, it's a bad pun. But I didn't come up with it. 

   May the 4th has become a day for fans to be able to share their love of Star Wars without it seeming odd. To someone who has been alive as long as Star Wars has been around, it seems odd to me not to celebrate Star Wars everyday. 

   See to me, Star Wars isn't a religion. It's not a way of life. It's not an idol. It's not a god. 

   IT'S A FAMILY MEMBER...

   When friends or family moved away or died, or stopped liking me, Star Wars was still there. I call it my best friend. I know this seems weird to a lot of you- especially my wife. But to me, this has how it's been since the day I was born...

    Anyways, back to 1977. 40 years ago today there was only 2 things Star Wars at this point: the teaser trailer and the promo poster (see above.) 20th Century Fox didn't really think this was going to be a hit. There weren't any toys or collectible glasses or other items of the sort. The Star Wars comic book had been on stands for a couple of weeks, but it really looked nothing like the movie and as far as most people (especially collectors)  were concerned, it wasn't on their radar. And to the normal everyday public, May 4th, 1977 was just another day unlike any other.
Notice how Darth Vader is green, the Death Star
looks like a disco ball and well everything about Han is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

     So before I go, I present to you what the original teaser trailer for Star Wars looked like in theatres at this time. Note how the distinctive Star Wars font doesn't even appear and how the special effects for the light sabers had yet to be colored in. Plus, when Luke and Leia swing over the chasm, I think you can see some of the safety harnesses as well. 



   Enjoy- oh and if you find any nits with the trailer, please let me know in the comments section!

   Until next time...
    

    
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment