Monday, May 15, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 133

     I couldn't let this milestone pass up- 40 years ago today, newspapers nationwide began advertising a new film due out in theatres a mere 10 days later. That film was of course, you guessed it: STAR WARS!

     The types of ads varied but the below image is widely considered the most common:


The Critics were really raving about the film. Even Time Magazine called it the best movie of the year. That's quite high praise for a film that it's producers and studio heads had little to now faith it.

Smaller variation of the square ad. Includes one hell
of a quote from the folks at Newsweek.

    Some newspapers ran the above ad. This one is known commonly as a mini poster. Large metropolitan areas that had more than one theatre were where this advertisement was to be found. This method of ad allowed theatres to pool their resources together and save money on marketing.


     There's one last ad that ran in papers that were documented for May 15, 1977. This one seen above was a mishmash of artwork from the poster and live-action scenes from the film.

      Well, that's my look at my birth year (and favorite year) for today. Hey, 2 posts in a row. I'm really feeling like I am beginning to get back to my old self before my last job took control of my life. Here's hoping tomorrow I can make it to 3.

    Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment