Thursday, June 15, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 136

 

   On today's look at A Madman Turns 40, we reflect on a life that made millions laugh. On this date in history, veteran actor Alan Reed passed away at age 69. 

      Reed was a chronic smoker. He develop emphysema and later succumbed to a heart attack.
Reed on right, voicing Fred. On the left is the legendary Mel Blanc, voice of Barney Rubble
and countless Looney Tunes characters.

       So why is Alan Reed so important on my reflection of my favorite year? For many of you, Alan Reed was and still is the iconic voice of Fred Flintstone!

      Reed was the voice for the entire 1960-1966 run of the Flintstones (except for the Pilot episode.) He also provided the voice of Fred on numerous Flintstones spin-offs such as the Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show. So that means, growing up as a kid, I heard Reed's voice a lot!

Reed's eventual successor,  Henry Corden
on a 1965 episode of Hogan's Heroes.

       After the actor's passing, comedic actor Henry Corden provided the voice of Fred Flintstone up to 2000. Though Reed is the voice I am most familiar as Fred, Corden is the face I recognize most, as he was Mr. Babbitt, the landlord, on the Monkees TV-show. Corden's last roll as the boisterous caveman would be in the Bedrock Bowling video game, which I remember playing with my little sister quite a bit. 

     Well, that's my look at 1977 for today. See you soon for another episode of A Madman Turns 40!

No comments:

Post a Comment