Thursday, June 22, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 173

   

     For today's look at 1977, we turn to the world of Disney. It was on this date that the animated film, The Rescuers was release in theatres. 

    This was Disney's 23rd animated feature. Based on the works by British author, Margery Sharp, the film was a sleeper hit. The Rescuers features the voices of Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor as agents of the Rescue Aid Society- a sort of UN peacekeeping force made of mice. It's Miss Bianca and Bernard's mission to save an orphan girl named Penny from an evil pawn broker searching for a rare gem.

Kidnapped Penny tries to find the Devil's Diamond.

     I remember seeing this movie sometime in the 80s when it was re-released in movie theatres. I may have saw it in 1983 when it was released along with Mickey's Christmas Carol. But I am pretty sure I saw it during a summer or winter movie program. 
An example of a Summer Movie Program.
Sometimes, the movie is free but the snacks aren't.

     For those of you not familiar with this concept, during summer and winter breaks, movie theatres would have a sort of weekly summer camp where you see 2 older movies rated for kids during the day. Generally, for the price of 1 ticket, you saw 2 movies, a couple of cartoons and maybe got a drink and popcorn. Typically a parent would take you or you'd go with a school or church group. On your day there you might see Young Sherlock Holmes followed by the Great Mouse Detective as I did once in the late 80s.

       I really like the Rescuers. But I think the sequel, Rescuers Down Under is probably my family's favorite. It's a little more less gloomy than the first Rescuers film. Plus the lizard sidekick in it is really funny. Incidentally, the Rescuers is the first animated Disney film to have a sequel.
Yes, the urban legend is true.
During this scene. a topless woman appears in a window twice.
No, I'm not going to show you that image.

       Well, that's my look at my birth year for today. I hope you've enjoyed this trip down memory lane. Until next time, you may now turn your cell phones back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment