Tuesday, July 4, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 184


  It's Independence Day! The day we celebrate our forefather's declaring independence from England. 

   Normally with the A Madman Turns 40 project, I show you what celebrations were like the year I was born. But I can't find any photos of bbqs or fireworks from that day. So, did we just skip celebrating the Fourth that year?
  
   What I could find was a lot of photos of magazines. Apparently, it was the day to change out the magazine bins that Independence Day. I found covers from a variety of magazines such as the ones below:


America's First Family of 1977:
Lee Majors and Farrah Fawcett-Majors.

In 1977 Ted Turner was winning America's Cup trophies.
40 years later he's losing to President Donald Trump in a viral Wrestlemania vid.

There seemed to be quite a bit of sports that day. Wimbledon in London was taking place. There were also at least 2 races held during the Fourth. I wonder why they don't do races anymore on weekdays?



Actually, I think I have a pretty good idea why the celebrations for Fourth of July, 1977 were so low-key. We overdid it for our bi-centennial a year prior. 


Well, that's my look at 1977 for the day. Sorry it wasn't much more patriotic. When it comes to researching the past, you win some and you lose some. I just really expected to win with this Independence Day post.

Scene from July 4, 1976 celebrations.
We partied so hard that year, we kicked 1876's ass!
But the Independence hangover lasted until well in late 1977.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment