Sunday, August 27, 2017

Green Lantern/Space Ghost Special #1

 Both Hal Jordan and Space Ghost answers a distress call from a planet besieged by a mysterious entity that can destroy planets. In typical (but very awesome) crossover fashion, both Green Lantern and Space Ghost believe that the other is the dangerous foe. When the true enemy is revealed, Jordan is now in possession of Space Ghost's battle bracelets whereas Space Ghost is the newest Green Lantern in the sector! It's an dynamic buddy-cop team-up full of excitement and childhood dreams come true!

The story was very good but the art and colors by Ariel Olivetti was just amazing. I'm a big fan of Alex Ross and his realistic painting style. Olivetti boasts similar skills but his style has a more 1940s pulp action feel to it. It's freakin' awesome stuff.

The secondary feature star a pair of Hanna-Barbera characters that I have never heard of. It's a cat and dog duo called Ruff n' Ready. In this story, both are down-on-their luck comedians that just can't find the right partner until one fateful day the two happen to pull up a seat next to each other an a local bar and comedic history is made. 

This Howard Chaykin penned story promises more of Ruff n' Ready in the future. Somehow I doubt it. This tale, while an interesting take on how comedy duos are formed, just didn't feel to me something that's going to spawn a future mini-series. I might be wrong but I doubt it as I really felt that the Jetsons back-up in Booster Gold/The Flintstones was going to become a series and in November, my instincts will be proven right. With Ruff n' Ready, I don't have that same vibe.

This crossover special overall was enjoyable. But the title feature of Green Lantern/ Space Ghost is really what carries this book. Just because I rate this book lower because of the back-up feature doesn't mean that this special isn't Worth Consuming- it really is!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment