Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Doctor Strange (2016)

I really got behind on watching comic book themed movies over the past year. But as I am focusing primarily on teaching, professional writing, and being a house husband, I am finally catching up on lost time for me.

One such case was eventually getting to see 2016's Doctor Strange on DVD. The film stars Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch as the title character. Here, Doctor Stephen Strange is a world re-known surgeon who loses the use of his hands after a car crash. After a number of experimental procedures, Strange becomes destitute and no longer able to practice medicine

Informed of a miracle worker in the Far East, Strange meets the Ancient One. But this healer's practices are a little bit unconventional as they are related to the mystical arts. Desperate to try anything, Strange becomes a pupil and eventually a master of magic and incantations. 

Meanwhile, a former student of the Ancient One named Kaecilius is now a follower of the dread Dormammu, master of the Dark Dimension. The sorcerer is plotting to unleash hell on earth. To do this, Kaecilius must take control of the three portals that link Dormammu's realm with ours. The villain already has control of the gateways in London and New York and it's up to Doctor Strange to prevent Hong Kong from falling into Kaecilius' hands. But to do so, Stephen will have to rewrite not only the laws of order and nature but that of physics itself too.

I really enjoyed this film. Doctor Strange hadn't really been one of my favorite characters as I prefer horror comics over those devoted to mysticism. (My mother on the other hand was a huge fan of Doctor Strange and would have loved this movie.)  Anyways, I've seen every Marvel film up to this point and didn't think I should make a habit of skipping any now. Plus, it stars Cumberbatch! How could I say no?!

Benedict Cumberbatch was the perfect choice to play Doctor Strange. He's got that arrogance of Strange's down pat and he infuses such cheeky humor into his roles. Literally, Doctor Strange is a paranormal version of Sherlock Holmes and I really can't wait for a sequel. I only wish Martin Freeman could play Strange's mystic partner Wong. Well- sorta. It's just not Sherlock without Watson.

Marco Polo's Benedict Wong was really good as Doctor Strange's faithful manservant Wong. Only in this film, Wong is more of Strange's superior, a Doctor Watson in a way, as he's an accomplished sorcerer who doubles as the librarian at the Ancient One's compound. He was also great comic relief but in no way was he dumbed down as a 'Guy Friday' as has been the case in a number of Doctor Strange comics. 

Another character that was the source of some controversy was having acclaimed British actress Tilda Swinton (Orlando) play the Ancient One. In the comics, this character is Asian and a male. Some haters weren't so much upset that the Ancient One was now a woman but they sure were furious that she was cast as white person. Oddly enough, I never saw anyone furious that Chiwetel Ejifor's Mordo was now black as opposed to Asian as in the original books. But I thought both Swinton and Ejifor were great in this movie and I had no issues with anyone's casting---- Wellllllllllll.....

Let's talk about Rachel McAdams for a minute. The Notebook actress plays the love interest in the film. Her role is that of Dr. Christine Palmer, a fierce surgeon who gives Strange some tough love during his lowest moments on the road to recovery and healing. I love that the film doesn't have McAdams play a damsel in distress. Doing so would really ruin the flow of the film in my opinion. But I have heard that McAdams was playing Night Nurse. Then I hear it's Rosario Dawson's character on Daredevil and Luke Cage who is Night Nurse. In reality, neither actress is playing the role of Night Nurse, who is actually named Linda Carter. Can't anyone get this straight?

The character of Stephen Strange is due to play a large in the Infinity Gauntlet movies currently in production. But I really hope that Doctor Strange will get another solo film- or two- or three. As long as it's Cumberbatch, I'll be watching. I might even make it to the theatres to see it this time...

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment