Saturday, September 2, 2017

Iron Man: The Mask in the Iron Man

Years of hard partying, being a superhero, and the stress of losing Stark Industries results in Tony Stark suffering from a massive heart attack. In order to keep the world without an Iron Man, Stark creates an artificial intelligence inside of one of his suits in order to fill the role. But when the Ai becomes sentient (and like went doesn't an Ai do such a thing in comic books), it seeks to rid the world of Tony Stark.

The world of Iron Man is one of those sections of the Marvel Universe where I know the basics and that's about it. If it wasn't for Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of the billionaire playboy Avenger, I probably wouldn't even like Iron Man. He's smug, pretentious, and kinda gets on my nerves how he keeps losing his business and then gets it back like a man might throw a boomerang repeatedly.

As you could probably tell from my earlier comments, I feel like the Ai wanting to be a real person story has been to death. But I enjoyed this book as though the plot has gotten old, the storytelling itself was rather good. Having Tony stranded on deserted island and be forced to survive like Oliver Queen had to prior to becoming Green Arrow was actually a pretty interesting plot twist. And wouldn't you know that the genius behind all this is Joe Q himself, Joe Quesada who wrote this story?! 

Quesada is one of those figures that though I couldn't stand him as the editor of Marvel, the man's got talent and he seems to know his fan base way better than his replacement Axel Alonso ever has. I can't believe I am going to say this but Come Back Joe! Marvel needs you! We need you!

As for the art. Eh... It's very much in that dated late 90s Rob Liefeld clone model. Sean Chen and Alitha Martinez are really winning me over with the artwork. But I actually think that the pencil thin inking and washed out colors are really what makes this book not so visually appealing. 

An interesting story that could have been nothing more than a cliche. Thankfully, Joe Q. keeps it from getting stale. It's not the worst Iron Man story I've ever read but it's not one of the best drawn either. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment