Saturday, October 7, 2017

Blade Runner #1


This Monday I'm going to go see Blade Runner 2049. I am a huge fan of the original film and the Philip K. Dick book (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) and when I first saw the trailer for the sequel, I gasped. It's one of the few trailers I will watch everytime it's on TV. Unfortunately, I couldn't go to the double feature at AMC theatres in which both the original and the sequel were being shown back-to-back late Thursday night into Friday as I had to work early the next morning. It's also a good thing I didn't go to see the movie yesterday after work anyways. When I got home, I laid on the bed and woke up 6 hours later! I slept hard!

Since I didn't get a chance to see the first film to get reacquainted with the franchise, I was able to do the next best thing- I read it! 

This 1982 adaptation from Marvel is a loving recreation from Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson and Carlos Garzon. If those names sound familiar, it's because this trio was behind the Star Wars comic strip from the 1980s. Considering the amazingly renderings of Han Solo (along with Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader), this was the perfect group to illustrate a comic book adaptation of a Harrison Ford sci-fi film.

If you notice on the cover it says that this comics adaptation of the Ridley Scott film is 'A Comic Art Classic" and they're not joking. There's a scene in which Ford as retired cop Rick Deckard is checking out a crime scene. The use of shading to illustrate city lights emanating through the shadows of some Venetian blinds was visually stunning! 

Blade Runner is considered a masterpiece of not just science fiction but film noir and special effects- oh and costuming and set design! Folks, this film is a classic and a favorite of mine. This comic book is the next best thing to getting to watch it. Now having re-read it for the first time in decades, I can also declare this one of my all-time favorite adaptations in all of 
comicdom!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment