Thursday, October 19, 2017

Creepshow

Stephen King's love letter to the horror comics of the 1950s has returned to print.

Next to his young adult novel Eyes of the Dragon, 1982's Creepshow is Master of Horror's most rare book. For one thing, the book is done in graphic novel form. For most of his fans, this isn't the preferred medium for a Stephen King work. After I read this (well re-read it as my library had a copy of this back in the 90s) I offered to let my wife read it. She informed me that she had no interest. 

As for myself, I was thrilled with it. When I found out this was being reissued, I put it first and foremost on my wish list. Creepshow- the film, is perhaps my favorite horror film of all-time. Plus, the book features the artwork of the late Master of Horror Comics Bernie Wrightson! Plus the cover is by EC Comics' legend Jack Kamen. It's a win-win!

The stories are classics:

  • The grave will not stop a matriarch from getting his father's day cake.
  • A jealous husband enacts video revenge against the man who stole his wife.
  • The so-called sterile apartment of a wealthy spinster has a bit of a roach problem.
  • ...and much, much more spine chilling tales await inside!
A couple of things are missing from this book, including the beginning and ending sequences featuring a young boy named Billy, played on screen by a very young Joe Hill.

Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was the coloring of the book. It's a mix between washed out marker and over-diluted water colors. You would have thought that the muted tones might be the result of print negatives poorly saved over the course of 35-years. But that's actually how the book originally looked.

A classic of horror comics and horror literature that's back in print- albeit probably not for long...

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment