Thursday, November 23, 2017

Quantum and Woody, Volume 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team

One looks like Deadpool during his blue period. 

One looks like Chris Jericho in a bad suit.

One is a goat.

Together, they are the world's worst superhero team! That alone was why I choose this book. 

A couple of weeks ago I was working a booth at NCComicon. I happened to be right next to Valiant's booth when I saw a sign for Quantum and Woody. With the moniker of the worst superhero team of all-time, I just had to read it. (I'd be lying if the booth's 5 for $30 deal didn't help to sweeten the deal.)

Eric and Woody Henderson are adopted brothers who are polar opposites. Estranged for years, the boys are brought back together with the mysterious death of their father, a noted physicist. When the duo are fingered as the suspects behind the crime, Eric and Woody decide to investigate their father's death. That takes them to Mr. Henderson's lab at Quantum Solutions in search of answers. However, a lab accident restructures the boys molecular structure and as a result become America's newest and worst superhero duo- Quantum and Woody!

Funny. Irreverent. Insane. 

The reboot of Quantum and Woody is what Deadpool or Harley Quinn could be if their publisher's weren't afraid of offending anybody. I can understand why Valiant Comics has such a devoted fan base. They make good comics even better!

James Asmus and Tom Fowler's story was extremely intriguing. There was a solid mystery at the heart of it this volume which collects the first four issues. The artwork by Jordie Bellaire seemed to be from the Eric Powell school. Considering how un-apologetic Eric Powell is in his work, it really fits. 

It only took four issues, but I am hooked. I not only want to get the other volumes in this series, I want to invest in Valiant's reprints of the original series as well. Plus, as an added bonus, I just happened to learn today that Quantum and Woody have another series ready to drop sometime early next year.

A great buddy-cop farce that is extremely unpredictable!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment