Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Vault of Horror #14

  • A pair of con men use a medium to swindle an old lady out of her inheritance. But the spirits have other plans. 
  • In a play on an old urban legend, an African butler misinterprets the desires of his master and puts the man's fiance out for display.
  • An animal loving wife is pushed beyond her limits when her cantankerous husband takes up a new hobby- taxidermy!
  • A rising star in the boxing circuit must throw the match of his life or else never see his baby son ever again.

This issue of the Vault of Horror offers a score of terrifying treats. Everyone's favorite EC horror host is the Crypt-Keeper. But mine is the Vault-Keeper. I don't know why. His stories just seemed more interesting to me while CK's stuff, while good, just didn't seem so believable. 

No, that's not right. Something's missing with what I am trying to say, just like some of the details of Crypt-Keepers report of the boxer with the kidnapped child. The story jumps six months at one point but it's never revealed if the kid returned home safely or not. 

I usually am not big on the Old Witch's stuff at all. I'm just not a Ghastly (Graham Ingels) fan. But the story about the wife and her taxidermist hubby was a creepy story that actually begged for Ghastly's distressed touch. Plus, as an animal lover myself, I would be destroyed if I came home to find that my spouse did to- Oh, NO! You're not getting a spoiler out of me. I don't care if the stories reprinted are over 60 years old!

A fantastic addition to my EC Comics collection. I'm still a long ways off from completing it, but I get closer all the time.  

Featuring the art of the legendary Johnny Craig, this issue is a gem!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment