Sunday, April 8, 2018

Weird Love, Volume 1: You Know You Want It

Commie bad boy hunks. Mentally unhinged debutantes. Free love hippies, mini skirts, and Ronald Reagan?! It's all found in this edition of Weird Love: You Know You Want It!

Weird Love is a comic anthology from IDW Publishing and Yoe Books. The collaboration reprints some of the wildest, weirdest and down right prudish stories taken from the romance comics of the 1950s, 60s and 70s! 

I'm a fan of comics of all eras but my heart is firmly rooted in the Silver Age of comics when the Comics Code was just taking affect. There were so many titles out there trying to be lurid without attracting attention from politicians and angry moms. It's rather funny in an uncomfortable way.

A lot of these stories are like B-movies. They're so bad, that they're good! Fans of MST3K, Svengoolie and Ed Wood will delight in these forgotten gems from yesterday.

My wife got me this for Christmas. I have no idea where she got it. She's pretty well okay with a lot of oddball comics I bring in, including kids stuff. But the romance stuff, she tends to find that laughable and a little silly for a grown man like myself to read. But my mother had a bunch of them from when she was a girl and I being hooked on anything comic book related, gobbled them up. So, for me, it's not odd for men to read romance comics. 

But still, I'm a little mystified that my wife got this for me. I'm wondering if some of my buddies at my favorite comic book shop made the recommendation, as they know I am a huge fan of any type of comic book from this era. I guess that's one mystery I've leave unsolved.

This book was a thrill to read. I wouldn't mind reading more in the series or some of the sister books like Haunted Horror. I've read several other collections from Yoe Books and they always seem to find some great stuff. This edition does disappoint!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment