Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Blue Devil #1

Dan Cassidy is the best special effects and make-up guy in the business. His new high-tech suit for the upcoming blockbuster, 'The Blue Devil', is state of the art. It's sure to win some accolades come awards season.

While Dan is a whiz at SFX, he's a dud with the ladies. He's got the biggest crush on the star of the picture; a bombshell named Sharon. But Dan just can't express it to her.

While touring the ruins to be used for the film's climax, Sharon unknowingly unleashes a demon named Nebiros. A former ruler of this world, Nebiros has been exiled to a dying domain for centuries and he mistakes Cassidy, in full Blue Devil costume, as his brother rescuer. 

But the demon soon learns that this devil fights on the side of the angels. And in a rage, Nebiros hits Dan with a beam of energy so fierce, surely our hero has died in just his first issue. 

I've had the complete run of Devil Devil collected for quite some time. I just never really brought myself to read it. I really like the character from his role in the supernatural super team book, Shadowpact. That's the main reason why I decided to collect this book. That and it's indirect connection with Duke University. (One of the character designers spouses was a big Duke fan and they created the character in a sort of tribute to her fandom to the Blue Devils.)

However, I've been burned by mid-1980s DC books in the past. Just last month, I read Paul Kupperberg's Power Girl miniseries from 1988 and it was a massive turd. 1986's Blue Beetle had a very rough start focusing more on soap opera style plots than heroics and that era's Captain Atom series was a mixed bag. Only Booster Gold was a pure delight during this time of revamped and new DC heroes (that I've thus far read.) There's probably some more amazing CRISIS era titles out there that are gems to read. But I am often hesitant to dip my toe in those uncertain waters thanks to previous experience. 

But the premier issue of Blue Devil was great- for a premier issue. The origin story aspect was very good. The introduction to a few characters was rough with insipid dialogue. And we've got that Sam and Diane relationship between Dan and Sharon to sift through. Yet for a 'pilot' issue, this was very good. The book has a great sense of humor and Paris Cullns' (House of Mystery) Terry Austin style artwork in whimsically awesome.

I'm not quite there. But I think I might be hooked on this fantastic little book.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment