Friday, October 6, 2023

DC Horror Presents: Sgt. Rock Vs. The Army of the Undead #2

Issue #2 sees Sgt. Rock and Easy Co. on reconnaissance. Yes- there's several encounters with undead Nazis. Lots of gore. Lots of combat. There's even a scene at a bier haus in which we see a bunch of zombie soldiers drinking beer and having antics. 

It all feels very unnecessary. 

The undead Nazis at a bar seemed very out of place. I'm sure it was part of Bruce Campbell's quirky sense of humor. I was reminded of that scene in Gremlins where those little green boogers took over a local watering hole and went wild. 

The combat scenes used almost all of the tech introduced in the last issue up already. Generally, when this would happen to an action character like James Bond, the hero wouldn't go through his entire arsenal until the final act. What a waste!

There was 1 thing that did advance the plot: Rock and his troops do locate Hitler's personal physician. That means that the fuehrer can't be very far away. However, instead of capturing the doctor, the boys end this issue by heading back to base. 

Nothing in this issue pushed the plot line any forward. Any progress made by locating Dr. Theodor Morell was walked back with Sgt. Rock not doing anything. I'm a little bit miffed. I paid $3.99 new, for this issue. I feel a little bit cheated. No, not cheated. I did enjoy a lot of segments in this book. I just wish I had gotten this issue for less than cover at a bargain bin. Very glad I didn't pay the extra dollar for the variant cover. That's okay. The Gary Frank covers have been awesome!

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment