Sunday, April 2, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017: Day 92

  
 Today in Madman history, the race horse Red Rum won it's historic 3rd Grand National Race in Steeplechase at the Aintree racecourse. For those of you not in the know, steeplechase is when a jockey riding atop a horse runs a course littered with little walls made of differing materials. 




   
    Now, I'm not picking this event in 1977 history because I'm a fan of horse racing or anything like that. I've seen races on TV and I could probably tell you the names of a handful of horses and probably tell you even less of their accomplishments. But it was the name of the horse that struck me- Red Rum!

   Red Rum is murder spelled backwards. Well, this was the horse's 3rd championship and by 1977 Red Rum was already 10 years old. But if you remember in January, I did an article about the Stephen King novel The Shining and it's debut. In the book, young Danny Torrance sees the word 'Murder' spelled in blood on his wall. But the kid sees it from the reflection of a mirror across the room from his bed. So he keeps screaming 'Red Rum... Red Rum...'

   I thought Stephen King was the first to figure that out. Well, obviously, at least the owner of the race horse Red Rum figured it out first.



    Well, that's my look at 1977 history for today. See you tomorrow when I'll be showing up somewhere else in A Madman Turns 40...

No comments:

Post a Comment