Wednesday, August 16, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 228


Today marks a 40th anniversary. It's one of which inspired me to develop A Madman Turns 40.  40 years ago today, the King died. Yes, I'm talking about Elvis.


Elvis Presley was a cultural icon. He maybe didn't develop his country-bluesy style. But he was the one who brought 'black music' as his critics called it, to the masses. 

Elvis is one of those people who was in the right place at the right time. His gyrating hips would have been unthinkable if he has hit the music scene earlier than he did. But by the 1950s, a new populace was arising in the US- the teenager. Prior to World War II, teens and kids weren't mass marketed to. But with the baby boom, marketers saw a new untapped resource in which to advertise to. Elvis was the perfect product for kids looking to rebel a little from their ultra-conservative and uptight parents.

Elvis takes his last journey out of Graceland.

My Grandmama loved Elvis. She had seen every one of his movies. Had every one of his albums. So when the news broke of Elvis' death 2 things happened:

1. She cried, and cried, and cried.
2. She packed a bag and drove all night to Memphis to Graceland in order to be among the mourners and well wishers.
Funeral Procession of Elvis. Somewhere in this picture is my Grandmama.

Before she passed in 1990, my Grandmama returned to Graceland to tour it. I remember her showing me pictures and postcards. We'd listen to her Elvis records while she either put together a puzzle or made chocolate Elvis suckers for some community fundraiser or another.

A few years after she died, I asked and got for Christmas a 3-D puzzle of Graceland, which I put together thinking of her and listening to Elvis tunes. 

I think more than anything, on this day, I missed her more than the King.
Scenes from Elvis' funeral August 18, 1977.

I also think this is all I can do today for my look at my favorite year. 

Before I go,  have a listen at the favorite Elvis tune of both my Grandmama and myself.
Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Suspicious Minds....



No comments:

Post a Comment