Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell"


I hope to one day get my Ph.D in food science. It’s such a fascinating subject, and if one can grasp just a fraction of what it’s all about, it will so improve your cooking skills, love of fine food, and knowledge of cuisine in general. It’s essential to know this stuff if you want to even be considered a foodie!

I am a foodie- I own my own hot sauce retail store and website. So, when it came to finding a book that would be topical with my recent trips to the beach, I choose a great book about New York’s (formerly) thriving oyster industry. Who knew?

This book is written by a former James Beard Winner, is about food and the science of food (the sections on waste and cholera may make you never want another oyster again), the prep of oysters, the history of old New York, makes this like my dream book.

 There are even tons of recipes. But since I am not an oyster fan- I doubt I’d even make them. Well, no, I’d make them- I just doubt I would try them.

 Very Much Worth Consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment