Saturday, November 7, 2015

A Zombie's History of the United States: From the Massacre at Plymouth Rock to the CIA's Secret War on the Undead by Dr. Worm Miller


    You remember learning about these events in American History Class, right?
* President Thomas Jefferson orders William Clark to assassinate an infected Merriweather Lewis  and to destroy his journals before the explorer was to reach Washington and become a zombie.
* The Mexican Army storms the Alamo to find that all of the Texans inside have been massacred by the walking dead.
* The US Army drafts nearly indestructible zombie-human hybrids to storm the beaches of Normandy.

    A Zombie's History of the United States is an in-depth look at the impact the undead have had in the forming of this country. The book also reveals the conspiracy to not just eradicate the menace from America but to erase the undead from the pages of history books worldwide. Now thanks to Dr. Worm Miller and the University of Minnesota's Zombie Studies Department, the story of the American zombie can finally be told.

   Okay, folks, I'm not delusional. A Zombie's History is a work of fiction and is a parody of history books and conspiracy theories. Last summer, I won a drawing for my local library's adult summer reading program. I got to pick 3 free books as my prize. This book was one of them.

   I'm not crazy about zombies, honestly.  But I can't pass up a good zombie book or comic! Yet, while some would literally die to become a walker, I would not. I constantly tell my wife that if somebody starts ambling to me moaning for brains, I'm going for the head! And I'll ask questions later!

   This book from 2010 was a fun read. I majored in history and my focus was modern American history. So, this was the perfect type of read for me. I enjoyed seeing important episodes of American history being given the zombie treatment. It's one reason I am psyched for next year's 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.'

   Speaking of episodes, while I do not think this book would work as a film, I think it could have some success as a TV series, in the style of Comedy Central's 'Drunk History.' I think it could be a horror comedy mockumentary that a cable channel such as SyFy or IFC should seriously consider obtaining the rights to.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment