Friday, September 6, 2019

Debian Perl, Digital Detective: The Memory Thief (Family Comic Friday)

Learning is great when it can be fun! And that’s what young readers who love computers and comics books will have in this week’s edition of Family Comic Friday. Journey to the future in a caper that combines robots, computer coding and a thrilling mystery in Debian Perl, Digital Detective: The Memory Thief!

Debian Perl, Digital Detective: The Memory Thief
Written by Melanie Hilario and Lauren Davis
Art by Katie Longua
Published by Lion Forge
Pages: 208
Retail: $12.99

Debian Perl in a technomancer. That means that she has an uncanny ability to speak to computers of all shapes and sizes. Especially very old models. In the very distant future biology and technology have merged, making the need for most large programmable robots an unnecessary if not forgotten skill. So when Debian and the social media superstar, Digits, come across a rampaging robot, the duo uncover a mystery of epic proportions: who stole Ray-Bot the Robot’s memory?

Using her knowledge of ‘old school’ computer coding and programming, Debian Perl will teach Digits how to reprogram Ray-Bot’s CPU. But they’ll have to act fast as the city police are eager to have Ray-Bot shutdown; least he goes on a rampage again. With time running out, what is the sinister secret behind Ray-Bot’s strange behavior?

I was a big fan of the futuristic setting of this book. It reminded me of the movie Blade Runner of which I am a diehard devotee. If ever there was going to be a graphic novel for younger readers set in the Philip K. Dick/Ridley Scott universe; Debian Perl is what I would expect it to look like! It was totally awesome!

My favorite part about this book was that it was an enjoyable book in which children can learn while not feeling like a textbook. That being said, I am not a ‘computer person.’ I am very much like the character of Digits. I know enough to find what I need on the internet to get things done. Like just earlier today, I found a website to help me come up with culinary math questions for my cooking students. But try to develop a way to create such a website from scratch like Debian? Forget it! I do not have those types of skills!

The Memory Thief starts off with some basic code commands. But by the middle of this book, it got very technical. Conversations between Debian and Digits and Ray-Bot were told entirely in computer speak. I’m a little ashamed to admit that I glossed over those pages. But without a computer in front of me to possibly execute some of the commands the technomancers are trying to do while reprogramming Ray-Bot, those sections had very little tangible meaning to me.

The creative team of Melanie Hilario and Lauren Davis, along with Katie Longua have plans to produce more Debian Perl adventures. I would like to propose that next time around, the creators make the book more interactive. Possibly create some activities online in which kids can code Ray-Bot to do some cool stuff themselves. I think I would have learned quite a bit more about the world of coding and computer programming if I had had something to do in which my commands moved Ray-Bot through a maze or something. And I am sure young readers would love it too!

I’m going to recommend that this book be read by readers 12 and up. Not that parents and guardians should be concerned of anything offensive. It’s just that there’s quite a bit of technical stuff about coding that unless the young reader in your life has experience (or a passing interest) in computer programming, this might be a little too advanced stuff for them.

Hey, I read A Brief History of Time when I was in the fifth grade. Kids show interest in advanced things at different stages in life. You might buy this book for your youngster and they’ll not understand any of it. That’s okay! Just set the book aside for now! Give them time. Learning must be entertaining, as it is educational, if it’s too have any true meaning.
And grown-ups- you might just learn some cool skills here too!

Debian Perl, Digital Detective: The Memory Thief debuted in print on September 3rd, 2019!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

This review was concurrently published on Outrightgeekery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment