Sunday, September 22, 2019

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

I'm not going to say that Joe Hill is a better writer than his father, Stephen King. But I will say that he's quite more of a terrifying writer. I've read IT. I've read The Shining and several other Stephen King books. While they are great reads, none of them have ever frightened me like a work from Joe Hill.

Locke and Keye was a creepy good horror comic. The Firefighter was an engrossing, scary futuristic biotech gone wrong thriller. And then there's NOS4A2...

A young girl named Vic has the ability to travel great distances thanks to a powerful psychic bond with her Raleigh bicycle. One day Vic runs afoul of Charlie Manx; a sadistic murderer of children who travels to and from realities in his Rolls Royce Wraith. With the vanity plate NOS4A2, Manx lures children into his car under the promise of taking them to Christmasland. But this Winter Wonderland is anything but a Utopia as Manx and his automobile feeds on the energy and innocence of the children they kidnap. 

As a result of Vic's encounter with the madman, Manx is captured and imprisoned. Manx spends his final days in a prison hospital. And life seems to go on for Vic. But it's not an easy life as PTSD and drug use have put a toll on the young lady.

Years later, Vic and her son spend a summer at a cabin by the lake in hopes of repairing their fragile relationship. Things seem to be going well as the days go by. That is until a maniac in a gas mask arrives in an antique Rolls. 

Vic fights for the life of herself and her son. She almost wins against the armored man, when a silver hammer goes down across her spine. Stunned, Vic watches as the gas-masked man and his accomplice steal her son, Wayne. That other character appears to be Charlie Manx! But Vic just received news earlier that day that Manx died of old age in prison!

It took me over a year to finish this book. The character of the gas-masked man, Bing Partridge, was so deranged that I had to put the book away for a while. I don't often let a book defeat me. I try to conquer it but if I find a book to be just unreadable, I will put it down and not look twice. 

NOS4A2 was a great book. I just couldn't give up on it. The novel just had a sexually depraved character who really made me really uncomfortable. Like Joey (on Friends) having to put Cujo in the freezer because it got too scary for him, I had to let this book go for a while! But Joe Hill had his hooks in me and after a good enough break, I returned!

It's almost October. That means spooky reads for a spooky time of year. If you are looking for a lengthy read that will unsettle you with a touch of the spirit of Christmas, then you need to take NOS4A2 for a ride. Just don't say I didn't warn you if you need to hide this book behind the ice cream for a while.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment