Sunday, January 3, 2021

Mars Attacks The Holidays

A hilarious look at the holidays with those pesky attackers from planet Mars. Based on the Topps bubblegum cards from 1962, this 2012 over sized one-shot was part of the massive 50th anniversary campaign. 

Mars Attacks The Holidays covers 4 holidays. First up: it's Feisty Fred Hembeck as he explores the exploits of a reconnaissance team during a 1950s All Hallow's Eve. The next holiday was one that you'd think would be the subject of countless specials due to the lengthy legacy of War comics, Veteran's Day. But with the second story of a scout invasion set on the eve of the very first Armistice Day, I now have my first Veteran's Day inclusion to my holiday comics collection. 

Thanksgiving is the setting for the third story. Set during the annual Turkey Day parade, this parody has Mars finally going all out on the earth. This story is done up like a MAD Magazine parody with lots of famous celebs but with skewered names. I found it rather interesting that despite being published in 2012, our current POTUS just happens to be a rather pesky main character in the story. Geez- I didn't realize how hated Trump has been. I only thought it was with him running for Prez in 2016 that folks began to have such venom towards him. I was wrong.

The last story is set at Christmas. And with this story, the yuks stop. Mars hasn't conquered our planet. But they've clearly laid waste to it. Taking inspiration from the legendary Christmas truce of 1914, things end poignantly if not on a little bit of a bummer.

I rather enjoyed this book. I love the Mars Attacks franchise. (Yes, I realize that doggies and kitties get wasted without care when it comes to these globe-domed aliens. But I still love it!) The first three stories were so hilarious. And having a Veteran's Day story was an added treat. While I also liked the Christmas story, having it's tone be a complete 180-turn from the other stories left me feeling a little unfulfilled. 

I've waited 8 years to get this book on the cheap. An $8 cover price was too rich for my blood. And for years, I could never find this book for less than $15; much less in a dollar bin. But I guess with the pandemic, I was at the right place and the right time to find this book online for the right price. 

Definitely, this one-shot was worth the wait. But it surely is a book that will leave you with a gut punch or two.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment