Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #34

The first comic book I remember getting to pick out and buy for myself was a horror comic produced by Charlton Comics. I loved it. As a result, any time I find a Charlton comic book that is all about the frights, I will buy it. 

In this issue, there are 3 stories. The first story has a couple running afoul of a trio of hooligans. Tragedy befalls the couple during their mugging. But for the murdering thieves, their damnation in close at hand...

Story number two involves an heiress who is currently on husband #3. I think... She's got plans to do away with her new beau and inherit the cash. Ah, true love.

The last story is the cover story. An eccentric inventor crafts the perfect haunted house for an amusement park. But his most brilliant haunt may be the one he executes in death!

The opening story was the best of the three. It had a twist ending (okay to be fair, don't they all?), that made me feel ill at ease. That second story wasn't scary at all. It was more appropriate for a crime comic than a horror title. The last story was a Steve Ditko classic. Unfortunately, the plot was so telegraphed that I knew how everything was going to end by the time I had completed the second page. 

I realize that I've read more than my fair share of horror comic books to be able to guess the twist ending of a story from time to time. Plus, this book is nearly 50 years old. I'm thinking Ditko either borrowed or reused the plot ending or somebody else used it in a later story. So, I won't take points off for the predictability of the cover story. But that middle story was such a stinker, I can't believe that Ditko had anything to do with it. That 'love story' was just unforgivable.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment