Sunday, October 2, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #173

There are 4 one-shot stories in this, the third from last issue of MCP.

Lunatik is back for another run. This time around, he's been hired to assassinate an entire tribe of dimwitted natives as part of some big business scheme. But with the Silver Surfer involved and a heavy dose of hero worship, the bounty hunter just might have a change of heart.

In the Vengeance story, the demonic moppet Diabolique and her Plaything have returned. A major character dies! And I'm having nightmares again.

Nick Fury and SHIELD are back too! With Dum Dum Dugan helping out, the team is testing out yet another LMD with predictably disastrous effects.

Finally, the Avenger reservist Stingray is exploring the Pacific Ocean's Ring of Fire when he's attacked by Lava Men!

This was a great issue. Well, sorta. I mean, I didn't like that Diabolique killed off a pretty likable character. That's a death that is going to haunt Michael Badilino for years to come. 

I never complain when Nick Fury is around. I'll take a series of one-and-done stories if that's the only way to get more SHIELD into this book. The Stingray story had some amazing artwork by Mark McKenna (G.I. Joe: Order of Battle). And I thought the Lunatik story was funny. But I also feel like this was a Lobo story over at DC once before. 

Speaking of Lobo. Look at this cover by Simon Bisley, Jeff Moore and Tim Dzon. It's got Lunatik on the cover; but doesn't it look like something you'd see on a Lobo cover? That's because Simon Bisley did a whole bunch of covers for Lobo. With Keith Giffen at the helm!

I got a couple other things to say about this cover. One- Skreets is hot. There, I said it. It's not appropriate. But the artists really upped the image rating to a hard PG-13. Then, I must ask why does the previous issue have Silver Surfer on the cover when the character appears in this book? Shouldn't the covers or stories have been switched? Seems like somebody goofed...

A good issue that didn't turn out with 4 happy endings nor the right cover starring Lunatik it so appears.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment