Thursday, February 23, 2023

Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo: The Road to Epoli

If ever a book needed a soundtrack, it's this one. Rickety Stitch is the skeleton of a bard, which is a sort of travelling news reporter that sings as he roams. Stitch has no clue who he used to be. But he's bedeviled by a song of a place called Epoli. Could this mythical place be his homeland? Or does the nightly song Rickety Stitch dreams have a more sinister origin?

The Road to Epoli is not only the subtitle of this book, it's also the name of the song that haunts Rickety Stitch. The lyrics to this ballad are by the creative team behind this book: Ben Costa and James Parks. Comprising 7 massive stanzas, the tune runs throughout this 200-page plus graphic novel. Every time Stitch dreams this song, music notes accompany it. I can't read music. I've tried and just have never been able to do it. So when I come across these parts of the book, I miss out on something special. Well, I think I do.

At the end of this book, there's a link where you can hear the song in its entirety. And it's a long song, clocking in at over 9 minutes. The tune is composed and performed by folk artist Evin Wolverton. This book is from 2017 and I know for a fact that there were QR codes back then. I think the creative team should have added QR codes throughout the story so readers could have heard the song in pieces whenever they come across it. It's an interactive step that I hope is utilized in the 2 follow-up works.

The Gelatinous Goo in this book is Rickety Stitch's sidekick, a clear mass of ooze named Goo that only our hero can understand. Goo is an homage to the Gelatinous Cube from Dungeons & Dragons fame that can absorb organic matter. Speaking of D&D, this book series is one of two graphic novels based on the Land of Eem, an all-ages RPG produced by Costa and Parks in collaboration with indie game publisher, Exalted Funeral.

Though the art definitely carries a family friendly tone, I honestly didn't feel like this book was for all ages. Amazon recommends this book for readers aged 7-9. But there are some really scary moments in this book. Add some potty humor (which, I admit, did make me chuckle a few times) and a smattering of jokes that were PG-13 at best and I would have to rate this as a book for readers 12 and up.

I would like to know what happens next in the adventures of Rickety Stitch and his friend, Goo. But knowing that music is a massive part of this book, I am kinda put off of any burning desire to do it any time soon. I can't believe I am saying this, but I'd actually be okay waiting for the movie. 

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment