Friday, February 10, 2023

The Adventures of Team Pom: Squid Happens: Team 1 (Family Comic Friday)

My wife and I have 2 adopted goats. Hers is named Brickey. Mine is named Pom-Pom. They're twins

Now I didn't give Pom-Pom her name. She was given her name on the day she was born by her original adoptive family. Other than a name and that first visit, that family never returned to the farm or saw Pom-Pom ever again.

Over the course of the past year, my wife and I would visit Brickey once a week. Sister Pom-Pom always wanted to join us; so while my wife bonded with her goat, I spent time herding the girl around and keeping her out of trouble. Over time, Pom-Pom would start following me around the farm. I've taught her hand signals on what directions to go in. Plus, it just does my heart great joy when I get to the farm for my weekly visit and call out my nickname for my goat- POM! And she comes running! The people who work at the farm to this day have never witnessed a goat who has bonded to someone and comes when called. But that's my girl!

After Pom-Pom's one-year birthday, the farm granted my wife and I the official rights to being her adoptive parents. So when guests ask us about our female goat's name, I tell people that Pom is short for Pomegranate as my goat is a little grenade of energy. My wife is quick to point out Pom is short for Pom-Pom. But that's beside the point. It's my special name for my girl and it's why I selected this week's Family Comic Friday selection. 

Agnes, Roberta and Ruby are 3 outsiders who found each other in the hallowed halls of the Salmagundi Boys and Girls Club. All 3 girls wanted to start their own clubs. But center rules state that you must have 3 members in order to be a club. So, Agnes, Roberta and Ruby start their own club- Team POM: Pigeons, Ocean Stuff and Miscellaneous!

The girls also have a love of synchronized swimming. However, their routines are not only rather experimental and highly interpretive; the girls themselves aren't all that coordinated! However, it appears that Team POM's luck is gonna change thanks to a Giant Squid named Cyd. And how do we know that his name is Cyd? Agnes can speak squid, of course!

Unfortunately, things aren't all that safe for Cyd. Two Criminal Agents of Steve are on the hunt for the squid who escaped the clutches of the evil Steve who uses Cyd's ink to create a youth serum. These bowler hatted fiends will stop at nothing to capture Team Pom's newest member and become full fledged members of CAOS!

I got quite a few laughs out of this debut graphic novel by Isabel Roxas. Okay- Roxas has illustrated several children's books before such as Erin Entrada Kelly's Newbery Award winning Hello Universe. But Squid Happens is the first book that Isabel Roxas wrote AND illustrated. So my assessment still counts.

The artwork was lively. The members of Team Pom as well as the silly and yet a tiny bit sinister villains in the employ of the mysterious Steve were all lively characters with rich expressions and flowing dialogues. The final page of this work promised more adventures from Team Pom and I very much hope that happens very soon.

Team Pom is a great book for kids who feel like they are loners too. No matter how strange or different you might be, there is someone out there who'll accept you no matter what. It doesn't have to be a ton of people But those select one or two will be with you through thick or thin. They might share a laugh or two at you expense or think you are an oddball. But those special friends are the ones you can count on no matter what and that's the kind of friends Agnes, Roberta and Ruby are!

A lovely graphic novel for readers in grades 2-5. It's a bit silly and definitely crosses into the fringe of weird. But for myself, those are some of my favorite kind of reads. A tiny bit of gross-out humor and a couple of instances of bullying do occur in this book. But the overall message is finding friends you can count on in times of social intimidation is one that parents will approve of.

Now there are 2 Team Poms that I am on!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment