Friday, July 21, 2023

Bruce Wayne: Not Super (Family Comic Friday)

I know of a lot of comic book fans that would not enjoy this book because it's not canon: true to the comic books. But I really thought Bruce Wayne: Not Super was a delight. 

In Gotham City, there is a special academy for students with special powers. Called Gotham Preparatory School for the Really, Really Gifted, the student body is composed of heroes and villains. But NO VIGILANTES! And that's a really hard rule for young Bruce Wayne to follow as he's the only student at Gotham Prep without powers and being a vigilante is what the teen put as his career goal. 

Typically, if you do not have powers, you're not allowed to attend Gotham Prep. However, because Bruce's parents basically put up all the money to build the school, the heir to the Wayne family fortune was given an exception. Yet, if you ask me, I really think Stuart Gibbs got it wrong with this plot point. 

Dick Grayson, Oliver Queen, and other regular Joe (non-powered) characters from the DC Universe are students at Gotham Prep. Being an acrobat isn't a super power. Neither is being a crack shot with a bow & arrow. They're skills. Not super powers. So, in my opinion, Bruce Wayne isn't the only pupil who is not 'really, really gifted.' 

Bruce Wayne: Not Super was a fun book with lots of funny moments. Seeing Bruce working with his faithful butler Alfred to design an animal costume that strikes fear in the hearts of villains was very funny. Once Bruce decides to become a Bat-Man, his Wile E. Coyote-like misadventures with his array of bat-themed gadgets was hilarious. And seeing Bruce forge relationships with Dick Grayson, Selina Kyle and other characters was rather heartwarming. I just wish that Stuart Gibbs hadn't made Clark Kent such an unlikable character. 

I guess in high school, as Clark develops his powers, he'd be rather smug about it. He'd want to try and use his abilities to get the upper hand at things, especially sports. But I don't think Clark Kent would ever be a bully. Ma and Pa Kent just won't stand for that!

Okay, I realize that I've pointed out a couple of problems I had with this book. But I like to think that I've overlooked enough to really have enjoyed what I read. Everything is set up for a sequel and I couldn't have been more thrilled with that prospect. 

I think young readers of the recommended age of 8-12 years will not mind at all seeing their favorite heroes and villains as classmates. Parents may not like seeing some future icons of truth and justice acting the opposite of those innate ideals. But I think the real message behind this story is growth. Whether it be in growing more confidence in yourself to seeing your flaws and improving on them; failing at things but learning to get better from those times of disappointment is an important lesson both children and adults seem to have not been taught anymore. 

Life is hard. It can get better. Bruce Wayne learns this through help from his father figure Alfred, good buddy Dick and most importantly, himself!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment