Thursday, September 12, 2024

Batman: The Long Halloween Deluxe Edition- Catwoman: When in Rome


I wondered for the longest time after buying this deluxe edition, brand spanking new in 2022, what the book had to do with The Longest Halloween. I figured that since it was by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, this Catwoman solo venture was just being branded as part of the whole franchise. But that assumption couldn't be further from the case. 

In Dark Victory, Catwoman goes to Italy. It's assumed until the very last 2-pages, that Selina Kyle was attempting to get information over whom might have stolen the body of Carmine Falcone. Well, what happened to Selina in in Europe is explored here in When In Rome. Since it occurs during the events of Dark Victory, this is a midquel, I guess you could say. (Is midquel even a word?)

Needing help with the language and the customs of Italy, Selina has reluctantly hired Edward Nigma, the Riddler, as her traveling companion. Also helping with Selina's mission is a top Falcone family hit man known as The Blonde. It's pretty clear from almost the moment Selena and Eddie step off their plane that someone is trying to kill them. As the hired natives begin using weaponry commonly associated with Batman's Rogue's Gallery, it's becoming clear that somebody from Gotham is behind the plot to kill Catwoman. Could it be Sofia Falcone, who's got a vendetta against the cat thief for putting her in a wheelchair? Or, as Selena's dreams are haunted by visions of Batman could it be the Dark Knight himself trying to kill her?

I feel like I have read this story before. Some scenes seemed familiar. However, I couldn't find evidence in my reading journal that I have read When In Rome previously. I was devouring issues of Wizard and Toyfare when this book originally dropped. Maybe I'm remembering those scenes from an interview with Loeb and Sale. If I had read it before, I had forgotten enough to feel like this was almost an all-new story. 

When In Rome is a very solid mystery. It's psychological as well as a con job yarn. The Riddler was great comic relief. Sale's artwork is amazing as as usual. It's a bit cheeky. If you've ever wanted to see Catwoman's naked backside, you're almost in for a treat. Not full cheesecake, but definitely a sampling.

I've got 1 more story left in The Long Halloween storyline to read. 2021's Batman: The Long Halloween Special. Wait, that's not right. I just learned that a final chapter is coming out. A 13-chapter promised finale, The Last Halloween will start later this month. As Tim Sale had passed away about a year ago, I'm interested in knowing how much he contributed to the closer and if some sort of tribute will be forthcoming with the first issue.

It appears that The Long Halloween just might never end.

Worth Consuming!

Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment