Friday, October 4, 2024

Supercats: Halloween! (Family Comic Friday Comics)


I would have reviewed this 2023 Halloween special from Scout Comics last year. I had every intention of doing so. However there were some shipping delays at my favorite comic shop and I didn't get to pick it up until early November. 

Based on Scout's Supercats series, it's Halloween and the protectors of the neighborhood, the Supercats, are terrorizing all of the trick-or-treaters. Only it's really the Dirty Dogs of the Bad Bod Club in disguise as Supercats, looking to ruin their good guy reputation. Can Mewow and his sidekick Ohno save Halloween while restoring their good name?!

Supercats: Halloween! was Scout Comics' first foray of their Launch imprint of books. The idea behind launch is to introduce young new readers to comics. Launch does this by classifying their books in 3 levels. An almost total picture book comic is considered Level 1. This book with a promise of no more than 3 panels per page to help youngsters not get too lost in the action is a Level 3 book. (However on at least 1 pages, I counted 4 panels... Uh oh!)

The artwork is more primitive than other young reader graphic novels. But I think that rougher art style contributes to the alley cat persona of the Supercats and the junkyard dog manners of the Bad Dog Club. This was an adorable Halloween story by Caleb Thusat and Angela Odding and I just hope that the lateness of my review will help future sales for this comic and the other couple of books in the Supercats series, which can be bought at the Scout Comics web page.

My one complaint has nothing to do with the content. I think this is a book that parents and guardians will approve of 100%. It's wholesome and sweet and when Mewow and Ohno take on the Dirty Dogs, the level of superhero action is very mild. No, my issue was the format of the book. It's not rectangular like a comic book. Instead it's square; slightly larger than a Little Golden Book. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in my protective sleeves. Nor will it fit inside one of storage boxes. If it was a hard cover, I could place it safely on one of the shelves I use to store graphic novels. Supercats: Halloween! is too flimsy like a regular comic book that I'm concerned about getting it damaged. And if kids want to collect the books in this series, it's format will make storage even harder for them.

Just something to be aware of if you were like me as a kid, trying to keep your comics in as pristine condition as possible.

Worth Consuming!

Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment