Friday, August 7, 2026

Create Your Own Comics!: Everything You Need to Know (Family Comic Friday)

I know its been a while since I posted a Family Comic Friday review. With my blood disease (we just don't know which one I have), I'm always tired or wearing out quickly. So I don't venture out as much as I would like. Thus, I haven't been to the library in quite a while. But I was able to get this book on Amazon, and while not compensated by the company except for getting it for free, I did post this review on their listing for the book. Rest assured, this is my honest opinion and rating of the book.


If there is a child in your life aged 9-12 years old and they've at least once in their life suggested the possibility of becoming a cartoonist or comic book creator, you need to buy them this book! The cover touts that it covers 'everything you need to know' about creating comic books or comic strips, and I tend to agree. And it's done in such a clear, concise way that kids will understand. Plus it has interactive pages throughout the book, acting as a practice workbook in which to hone their craft.

There are activities on how to draw, starting first with a sketch and then finishing with inks. Kids can also create speech bubbles, practice illustrating unique sounds, master body language, fill in backgrounds and more. There's even a section on story structure with worksheets on developing plots before coming to several blank pages at the end on which aspiring artists can make a comic short. 

I remember trying to create my own comic books through such guides when I was a kid in the 80s. I'd get so frustrated with those books, because in reality, you were copying someone else's style. Here, writer Ned Hartley, along with illustrator Alex Lopez, encourage you to get creative and make your own story! One fun activity involving getting ideas takes a page from role playing games in which you take a 6-sided die and let it decide what to create for you. For example, when rolling in regard to the story's genre, if you roll a 3, your story will be a detective mystery. 

Officially, Create Your Own Comics is 96 pages. However, the page count ends at page 112. Don't skip those last 16 pages. As a bonus, there are activities crafted by some of publisher Andrew McMeel's other top comic book talent. It's like a series of short art lessons from the experts that takes what you learned in the main body of the book and expands on it. 

This is a fantastic guide book for kids who are interested in art, creative writing and superheroes. Be sure to let their imaginations soar! That means don't just give them this book and be on your way. Make sure those pint sized cartoonists have all of the needed tools to interact with this book. That includes pens, pencils, colored markers, erasers and extra paper. Because along with not liking an art book that stunted my creativity, it was even worse not having the tools to practice the activities in the book!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment