Friday, December 28, 2007

"Here's Your Sign" By Bill Engall


NOT WORTH CONSUMING

Again, folks, though I came from redneck stock, I am not a redneck. When I see raw fish, my first thought is not bait, but SUSHI!!!!! I tried this book as a measuring stick to Ron White’s book I read a few weeks ago. White’s book was X-rated, a lot of four lettered words, and has a very sobering effect on you. Engall’s book is age appropriate for all fans of the Blue Collar Comedy tour. But his jokes do not transfer to paper very well. It’s clearly due to timing and the use of conjunctions instead of just firing the punch line that ruins it for you. The format would have worked better in Bill could have teamed with MAD magazine and titled his book “Snappy Comebacks to Dumb Questions.” Anyway, he does throw it some monologues and they do great on paper. In fact, they save the book from a 1 star or worse rating. If you want to read this, save your time (And $$$), and rent his videos. I remember some of his work from the late 90’s and they’re the same jokes as in the book, but it’s Engall’s timing that wins you over.

No comments:

Post a Comment