Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Bible: An Owner's Manual : What You Need to Know Before You Buy and Read Your Own Bible



NOT WORTH CONSUMING  

The concept for this book is brilliant: An owner’s manual to help people better utilize their Bible. Kinda like the manual I got for my stereo, only not in Korean.

  But, after the concept, it all goes down hill from there. True, this book was written 25 years ago. But, the advice in this book is all wrong. Never should you read your Bible from Genesis to Revelation. It’s essential for new readers (believers or not) to start with the Gospels. Everyone I know says start with John, but I think Luke a good alternative.

  At times this book lives up to what it intended, but once you get through the intros for each chapter, it starts to turn into a text book. There’s lots of experts and scriptures quoted, but this should not be used for a devotional. Especially, since I ended the book wondering if the author was a Christian or just a Bible scholar who researches religion for the sake of research. That ambiguity left me hating a book I really didn’t enjoy from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment