Saturday, March 7, 2009

"America Jr. Volume 1 (v. 1)"

WORTH CONSUMING!

The concept of a New Country spawning from the US has been done to death. Firstly (and most famously, I might add), with Jefferson Davis. But, more recently the concept has been examined in episodes of Family Guy, The Simpsons, and a graphic novel by Boondocks creator, Aaron Macgruder. So, when I saw this book, I was a little weary, but the back cover sample strip included “Star Wars” in its punch line and won over my skepticism.

 

 I am very glad it did. The art is ultra-clean and the writing is some of the best I have ever read in the indies. With its take on sci-fi/pop culture/ and geekdom- it’s a direct relative of the classic strip “Foxtrot”. And much smarter than Family Guy and the strips tell a continuous story as opposed to The Simpsons. And what even better, AJr. is nowhere near as militant as Macgruder’s work.

 

 I hate that there is only 1 volume out right now. I cannot wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment