Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"A Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

WORTH CONSUMING!
I really thought I was going to hate this book. In fact, I was a little intimidated by the sheer brilliance of this Victorian classic. Plus, the Holodeck episodes in which Data portrays Holmes on Star Trek: The Next Generation are among my least favorite.
 But, I read recently a book in which a character was enjoying Sherlock Holmes and I decided to give it a try- again. I had read a kids version of Hound of the Baskervilles when I was 10-13 and had mixed reviews.
 But, this time I fell in love with the whole package. I can see David Tenant in my eye as Holmes and I like the fact that you’re not required to solve the case against Holmes. I got a little confused when mid-way through the book goes 20 years or more back in time to Mormon settlement in Utah. However, once I realized that this was how to book was supposed to flow, I really got into the mystery and realized Doyle is a bloody genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment