Sunday, July 12, 2009

Showcase Presents: House of Secrets, Vol. 1


NOT WORTH CONSUMING

First of all- I am going to collect the entire series run, if at all possible. Not all of these stories are bad. In fact, when it comes to the art, the twist endings, and a majority of plotlines, THOS is top-notch.

 However, Abel, the host of The House of Secrets is problematic. I think he is a great character (making him a scaredy cat is brilliant), and I like that his brother Abel (The House of Mystery) and the Witches (The Witching Hour) make cameos and interact with Abel. However, there isn’t consistent writing of his dialogue and whoever writes for him makes his narratives way to gothic and hard to understand. I want to read horror comics, not Emily Bronte.

 Also, I hate that the series shifts from little skits about Abel and goes straight to a 30 word intro in the top left hand corner and then the story. It’s really lacking compared to THOM.

 I hope this series picks up- and what’s more, I hope The Witching Hour gets reprinted in this format. I really like that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment