Friday, October 2, 2009

"Classics Illustrated Deluxe #1: The Wind in the Willows (Classics Illustrated Deluxe Graphic Novels)"

There is a reason why I never enjoyed this book as a child. I thought it was because I wasn’t old enough to enjoy it. Now, I re-read the book in the Classic Illustrated style and I feel like I am too old to enjoy the book.

The art is great. It’s full of George Perez style detail on every page and every single panel. I even enjoyed several of the chapters, especially the winter/ Christmas episodes. When it comes to a plot, then things get a bit confusing.

First of all, I have no idea what the author was trying to get across as the main theme. In Moby Dick, the theme is obsession. In Peter Pan, the theme is not wanting to grow up. But, in Wind in the Willows there are so many things that don’t even eventually have something to do with the story’s climax. Like the giant “Pan” character. What’s up with that? And why doesn’t he show up later on? I feel like something was left out or overlooked.

I guess the timing was never right to read this book in order for me to enjoy it. Would I recommend it to others? Maybe, but it’s gonna have to depend on the age of the reader. Plus, I’m not really sure girls would enjoy this as much as boys.

I give this book 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment