Monday, October 5, 2009

"Wonder Man: My Fair Super Hero”

Imagine My Fair Lady, only fighting replaces the singing and it stars superheroes. A novel concept, and if the writer would have stuck to this premise, I’d give it 5 big stars. However, the whole Henry Higgins boot camp to reform a brutal assassin ends ups being this jumbled ploy to destroy the Avengers. (I feel like I’ve read that story sometime in the past).
The best parts are the scenes that take place in the distant future. It’s a bleak outlook for planet Earth, with the only superhero remaining is Wonder Man (I didn’t know that WM was immortal, didn’t breathe, or turned purple when he used his maxmium powers until I read this story). Now, the big question is does this “future” exist in the same universe as the “Old Man Logan” storyline or somewhere else? I know that Wonder Man was written first, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen as the same time.
Predictably, the story also starts to looks less like “Pygmalion” and more like “Beauty and the Beast.” And of course, you know that when a superhero falls in love, it never ends well.
Worth Consuming, well at least the first 4 chapters are.

No comments:

Post a Comment