Thursday, June 4, 2015

Legends of the DC Universe #41


Legends of the DC Universe (1998-2001) #41

   The final issue of Legends of the DC Universe threatens to tear apart the very fabric of the DCU. With only the most annoying character in the history of DC Comics to aid him, Snapper Carr, the Atom must literally race against time! His mission is to prevent the workings of Chronos from stopping time itself after the villain set up a battery to drain a time machine called the Time Pool of temporal energy. Left running, the battery is causing velociraptors, knights, tanks, and sink holes from all of history to converge on the Atom's home of Ivy Town.   

   Will the tiny hero be able to save the day before time runs out? 

   The final issue of this dynamic series ended with lots of time-bending action. I enjoyed seeing tanks and dinosaurs destroying a small town, but I would've liked to have seen more of it. More variety too. I kinda wanted to see some of the old Justice Society heroes or even villains from that era, but then I remembered that at this point in DC history, they would've been on Earth-2. So, I guess they couldn't have made an appearance after all. 

   I also found myself doing something I didn't expect- liking Snapper Carr. When he was first introduced in the pages of Justice League of America, he was nothing more than a glorified sidekick with the job of either writing down the latest adventures of some of the heroes or get himself into trouble. He was clearly around to appeal to the younger generation in hopes that those young readers might relate to the character. But why they didn't use Robin or Jimmy Olsen for that role is beyond me. Still, writer Rich Faber did a really excellent job in making this Snapper a more of a  down-to-earth character who lacks confidence and doesn't over congratulate himself with those annoying snaps of his. 

   Legends of the DC Universe was a fun series and I'm a little sad to see it go. The New 52 tried to revive this idea slightly with its 'DC Universe Presents' series, but it just wasn't the same. On the bright side, there's still an 80-page Giant that I've yet to find and add to my collection so I got that to look forward to. But with DC being on a kick to bring back some old favorites as a result of its Convergence storyline, I don't see why the publisher couldn't revamp this dynamic anthology series once again.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment