Friday, June 12, 2015

Fairy Tale Comics (Family Comics Friday)



   Ramona Fradon, Karl Kerschl, David Mazzucchelli, Raina Telgemeier, The Hernandez Bros., and many more. Editor Chris Duffy assembles all-star grouping of writers, artists, and inkers in this collection of Fairy Tale Comics. The mix of well-known Grimm fairy tales like 'Snow White' along with obscure Eastern European lore like 'The Small-Tooth Dog' and Asian classics like 'The Boy Who Drew Cats' was eclectic. I'm glad that Duffy decided to add those lesser known stories as I had never heard of them until now.

   (A funny coincidence: the same night after I read about the cat drawing boy, Whoppie Goldberg actually told the tale to Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show. I took it to be a sign that I had stumbled upon a hidden treasure and I did!)  

     I happened upon this book by accident at my library when from across the circulation desk I saw that it was just checked in. The book is from 2013 but honestly, I had never seen this book until just then. There's a companion piece to this anthology called 'Nursery Rhyme Comics." It too is edited by Duffy and I assume it's just as fun and whimsical as this book.

    The book is suggested for ages 6-12, but I think with the level of talented writers and artists in this book it's got an appeal for collectors of all ages. The book can be found on Amazon for less than $20.

    A very fun read.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment