Sunday, June 14, 2015

San Andreas


 

  So, yesterday, I didn't get much of a chance to type up a review and that's for good reason. I spent my Saturday with my beautiful wife at the movies. The film we choose to see was the disaster film, San Andreas. Starring the Rock, Carla Gugino, and Paul Giamatti, I almost expected this film to be a disaster unto itself, but I was pleasantly surprised.

    The premise of the film is simple: California which is long overdue for a giant earthquake, experiences the biggest earth shaker in recorded history. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is a chopper pilot for the LA Fire Department and must rescue his estranged wife and daughter from a pair of quakes in the City of Angels and San Francisco. Meanwhile, a professor at Cal Tech played by the always great Paul Giamatti, has developed  a new system for predicting earthquakes and uses the new found knowledge to alert the general public thanks to an intrepid reporter played by Archie Panjabi of the Good Wife. 

   It's pretty standard disaster movie fare as everything that the expert warns about at the beginning of the film must occur (and does) before the end of the film. Throw it a handful of helpful survival tips, some incredible bad luck and even more unbelievable good luck and you have San Andreas. Oh, and don't forget the cliches such as the highrise door that plummets to nowhere, scientists yelling 'nobody is listening to me" and at least one super-heroic adrenaline filled toss of a child and/ or girl from impending doom!

   Now here's what surprised me: The Rock actually wasn't that bad of an actor in this movie. He was intelligent enough for me to believe that he could actually save the day. However, there was a couple of scenes, like one where a guy tries to carjack him that I was ready for the former wrestler to lift his trademark eyebrow and give the gunman a flying elbow. 

  Another thing that surprised me was that despite a recent commercial giving away the ending, mostly in particular who lives and who dies, I actually did not feel like that trailer ruined the entire movie. Plus the stunning visual effects were realistic enough for me to forget that blasted commercial and enjoy myself. Sadly, whoever was in charge of photoshop didn't do such a great job as old photos of the Rock's family looked like superimposed heads on a 1980s nuclear family.

    I had mentioned earlier that the Rock's acting wasn't so bad and it wasn't but who stole the film for me were the duo of Hugo Johnstone-Burt and Art Parkinson who play English brothers in San Francisco on holiday (that's British for vacation) and end up befriending the daughter of the Rock's character during the melee. I expect to see much more of them in the future, especially younger Parkinson whose already gained some fame as Rickon Stark from Game of Thrones.

   More of a feast for the eyes and that part of the brain that enjoys guilty pleasures. If Jurassic World is sold out, this isn't a bad alternative to turning around and going back home. 

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment