Thursday, February 11, 2016

Soviet Super Soldiers # 1


Soviet Super Soldiers (1992) #1

Recently on an episode of Avengers, these baddies showed up. So, I decided that it was time to finally read this one-shot that I had been hanging on to for so very long...
When I first saw the cover, I was thrilled. A special about Soviet era Super Heroes. The cover says “Super Soldiers” but most of the “heroes” are mutants and not the USSR’s answer to Capt. America.

Speaking of Capt., he makes a brief cameo at the beginning as prior events leading to this book took place in the pages of Captain America. But that's it!

The story splits into 3 teams. With these teams, I didn’t realize how many rivals Iron Man had that were Russian. I knew Crimson Dynamo was, but I did not know Unicorn and Titanium Man were Ruskies as well.

The multiple plots cause the stories to be very thin almost like an old Justice League of America comic. Also, there is some bleed over of characters and plots from other books in these tales and it was hard getting things straight. The art was pretty good but again the dialogue and story itself wasn’t so. Also, a small Who’s Who of secret files about these various heroes should have been included in order to help the average or uninformed reader, the latter myself, be able to understand what’s occurring.

An okay book, but it could have been so much better.

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment