Friday, April 27, 2018

Lumberjanes #49 (Family Comic Friday)

Welcome to Family Comic Friday. This weekly column highlights comics and graphic novels that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It's my hope that the books featured not only opens the young readers in your life up to the world of comic books but the joy of reading as well.

This week is all about girl power as we’ll be reviewing the latest issue of Boom! Studios’ award winning series Lumberjanes! Then in our penultimate preview of the 2018 Free Comic Book Day releases, we check out the anthology one-shot Comic Friends Forever, featuring creators such as Hope Larson and Shannon Hale.

Let's get started with my review of …

Lumberjanes #49
Written by Shannon Waters, Kat Leyh
Art by Dozerdraws
Published by Boom! Studios

Lumberjanes is the title nobody thought would or could ever get made. The series was created by the team of Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Brooklyn A. Allen and Noelle Stevenson. These women comic creators saw a lack of material for girls aged 10-13 on the market- especially made by women.

Working with the publisher Boom!, this creative team was able to book an 8 issue miniseries and turn it into a global phenomenon that next month will celebrate it's historic 50th issue!

Lumberjanes follows a group of 5 campers who are spending their summer at Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types summer camp. Using their unique talents and endless spirit of adventure, the girls notice some strange things going on in the nearby woods. Weird stuff, like three-eyed foxes and an old woman who transforms into a bear.

Over the past 48 issues, the secret behind these supernatural occurrences has been building up to the 50th mega issue that promises to reveal something.

Now you might be asking why am I reviewing a book that promises to let several cats out of the bag in the very near future. Well, for one thing, this issue reads like a very good starting point. The entire camp is stuck inside the mess hall thanks to a monsoon outdoors. Having all of the main and supporting characters in one place offers new readers a chance to really explore the various personalities that occupy the camps.

A couple of the campers discover a hidden tunnel that runs under the camp. While yes it adds to the overall mysteries surrounding the camp itself, a new reader doesn’t have to have read the previous 48 issues of this series to understand just what is going on. Sure, it helps. But it’s not required.

I want to talk a minute about the artwork and that’s going to lead into a controversial aspect of the comic book. The book is illustrated by German artist Dozerdraws. The artist gives amazing life to each and every character in this book. But there was something about one of the Lumberjanes named Jo that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. So, I did a little research into the character.

Jo is a transgender girl. The child of a gay married couple, Jo a male transitioning to a girl. In no way am I condemning the character or the book. I think Lumberjanes is a good series for children, especially girls. But I add this information because not all parents and guardians may feel that the subject matter of sexuality and gender is inappropriate for their child.

One reason I started doing Family Comic Friday almost a decade ago is one day I was at a comic book store and a frustrated mom went up to the clerk. With a copy of Hellblazer in her hand, she asked if it was appropriate for her 8-year old son. The clerk responded with two thumbs up. ‘Hellz yeah!’, he crooned.

It was at this point I realized that some parents have no idea what comics are age appropriate for their kids, much less nieces, nephews and grandkids. So when I review a comic, I base my score on storytelling, art and editing- not content. But I do feel that I need to let all parties involved know of anything that might be considered controversial or even a little too grown up for the recommended age group. Ultimately, when it comes to letting a child read any book I review, it’s ultimately up to the parent or grown-up to decide. But perhaps, by my reviewing of this series, I might encourage some families to begin a more open dialogue on gender and sexuality.

In terms of my rating, I give Lumberjanes high marks. The storytelling was flawless, though I wish that some of the characters names were given earlier on. In terms of the artwork, it was really good. So good, that I thought one of the characters was really a boy and I was right! I give Dozerdraws high praise for not trying to make Jo look any different than they did. To do so would have hidden Jo’s true persona and I think that in a nutshell is what Lumberjanes is all about- being true to yourself!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

Lumberjanes #49 was released in print and digital media on April 25, 2018.




Comic Friends Forever
Written and Illustrated by Hope Larson, Ben Hatke, Shannon Hale, LeUyen Pham
Cover by Vera Brosgol
Rated: All-Ages
Release Date: May 5, 2018


Comics friends forever! First Second presents an amazing Free Comic Book Day anthology that celebrates kids comics, girl power, and the amazing work of creators Vera Brosgol, Hope Larson, Charise Mericle Harper, Ben Hatke, and Shannon Hale and LeUyen Pham. Don't miss out on this comic filled with the power of friendship that's great for every kid reader in your store.









This review was published concurrently on Outrightgeekery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment